Impact of Political Environment on Media Freedom in Pakistan
- Atif Ashraf, Ghulam Shabbir
- Content Type
- Journal Article
- South Asian Studies
- Issue Number
- Publication Date
- January 2019
- Department of Political Science, University of the Punjab
- This study has been conducted to determine editorial independence of broadcast journalists in
current political environment of Pakistan. Journalists from top news channels were approached to
explore the political pressures that bar journalists to conduct their professional duties freely.
Survey was conducted to asnalyse the level of media freedom based on perception of the
professionals. It is found that political factors have a considerable influence on media practice.
Freedom of media is being affected by the current democratic set-up of the country.
- Politics, Media, News Analysis, Freedom of Expression, Journalism
- Political Geography
- Pakistan, South Asia, Punjab