You searched for: Political Geography Nigeria Remove constraint Political Geography: Nigeria Journal African Journal of Legal Studies Remove constraint Journal: African Journal of Legal Studies
- Author: Nat Ofo
- Publication Date: 01-2011
- Content Type: Journal Article
- Journal: African Journal of Legal Studies
- Institution: The Africa Law Institute
- Abstract: The amendment of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 has not been free of controversies. The latest controversy dogging the amendment relates to whether or not it is necessary for the President to assent to the Bill of the National Assembly amending the Constitution, even after the amendment has been ratified by at least two-thirds of the Houses of Assembly of the States of the Federation. There are two schools of thought on this issue; each with sound arguments in support of their respective position. A dispassionate and realistic consideration of the issue has been undertaken in this article. The conclusion is reached that the provision of the constitution dealing with its amendment is not free from ambiguity. Its lack of clarity on its amendment procedure has made it obviously in dire need of amendment. Consequently, necessary suggestions on how to resolve the issues, including the amendment of the amendment-provision of the constitution have been proffered.
- Political Geography: Nigeria