You searched for: Political Geography Korea Remove constraint Political Geography: Korea Publication Year within 1 Year Remove constraint Publication Year: within 1 Year Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Crisis Management Remove constraint Topic: Crisis Management
- Author: Christopher Lawrence
- Publication Date: 07-2020
- Content Type: Journal Article
- Journal: International Security
- Institution: Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Harvard University
- Abstract: The 1994 Agreed Framework called for North Korea to dismantle its plutonium-production complex in exchange for civilian light water reactors (LWRs) and the promise of political normalization with the United States. Today, scholars look back at the Agreed Framework as a U.S. offer of “carrots” to bribe the regime, but this framing overlooks the credibility challenges of normalization and the distinctive technical challenges of building LWRs in North Korea. Political and technical analysis reveals how the LWR project helped build credibility for the political changes promised in the Agreed Framework.
- Topic: Nuclear Weapons, Politics, Science and Technology, History, Infrastructure, Crisis Management, Normalization
- Political Geography: Asia, North Korea, North America, Korea, United States of America
- Author: Jungmin Kang
- Publication Date: 05-2020
- Content Type: Case Study
- Institution: Nonproliferation Policy Education Center
- Abstract: A Fukushima-like nuclear accident does not have to be caused by nature. Similar results could be wrought by military attack that disabled its safety systems, including cooling and power systems of nuclear power plants (NPPs). This study shows hypothetical releases from a core meltdown or spent fuel pool fire of NPPs occurred by military attack such as missile attacks in some of Northeast Asia countries, with atmospheric dispersion and deposition calculations using the HYSPLIT code with historical meteorological data for the region.
- Topic: Energy Policy, Science and Technology, Nuclear Power, Crisis Management
- Political Geography: Japan, Asia, Korea