You searched for: Publishing Institution Urban Institute Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Urban Institute Political Geography Russia Remove constraint Political Geography: Russia Topic Energy Policy Remove constraint Topic: Energy Policy
- Author: Sergei Sivaev, Raymond J. Struyk, Valentin Andrianov, Emin Askerov
- Publication Date: 04-2003
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Urban Institute
- Abstract: During the past two winters, breakdowns in district heating services in Russia have grabbed international headlines. In Russia these services and water and sewerage services are the responsibility of municipal governments; these governments set the tariffs for these services. This article examines the tariff-setting process during 1997–2001 for these two services with particular emphasis on the decision process for considering tariff increases. We find that little progress has been made during the transition period in developing the legal base for rational tariff-setting procedures. Overall, tariff increases have been substantially less than the rate of inflation. Statistical analysis confirms that decisionmaking is highly politicized and that in times of extreme inflation tariff increases lag even further behind inflation, with the sector being used as a kind of shock absorber to cushion the full impacts of inflation on the population. There is an obvious acute need for leadership at the national level to address these problems.
- Topic: Development, Energy Policy, Government
- Political Geography: Russia, Europe, Asia