You searched for: Publishing Institution United Nations University Remove constraint Publishing Institution: United Nations University Political Geography South America Remove constraint Political Geography: South America Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Poverty Remove constraint Topic: Poverty
- Author: Lucy Earle
- Publication Date: 03-2011
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: United Nations University
- Abstract: This study focuses on the city of São Paulo, Brazil and examines the ways in which irregular and illegal growth have influenced the collective action of social movements of the urban poor. The study describes how São Paulo grew as a socially segregated city during the twentieth century due to calculated neglect on the part of the municipal authorities. Highlighting the city's sociospatial inequality, degradation of the central districts and widespread irregularity, it illustrates how these factors have both negatively affected the urban poor and provided a catalyst for social mobilization.
- Topic: Poverty, Social Stratification, Social Movement, Urbanization
- Political Geography: South America, Latin America