You searched for: Publishing Institution United Nations University Remove constraint Publishing Institution: United Nations University Political Geography Asia Remove constraint Political Geography: Asia Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Poverty Remove constraint Topic: Poverty
- Author: Peter Warr
- Publication Date: 01-2011
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: United Nations University
- Abstract: Thailand's development strategy has been strongly market-oriented and open to trade and investment flows with the rest of the world. Since the late 1950s, its growth performance has been outstanding. Poverty incidence has declined dramatically, but economic inequality has increased. Economic progress has been reflected in very significant improvement in non-economic indicators of well-being such as life expectancy, infant and maternal morality, and literacy. Nevertheless, the performance of the education system is chronically poor. Environmental problems and institutional failures in resource management are ongoing. Reform is needed in several areas, including political and corporate governance, regulation of industry, and in the education and health systems.
- Topic: Development, Economics, Education, Emerging Markets, Poverty, Foreign Direct Investment
- Political Geography: Asia, Southeast Asia