You searched for: Publishing Institution Oxfam Publishing Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Oxfam Publishing Political Geography Somalia Remove constraint Political Geography: Somalia Topic Gender Based Violence Remove constraint Topic: Gender Based Violence
- Author: Siham Rayale, Ed Pomfret, Deborah Wright
- Publication Date: 08-2015
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Oxfam Publishing
- Abstract: This report looks at Somali women's experiences with conflict, peace, violence, insecurity and state rebuilding. It uses an approach geared towards gender-just peace-building to understand the ways in which Somali women have fulfilled their role as agents of change, while navigating the challenges posed by women's exclusion from many forms of public life (government, civil society, universities, open markets etc). Interviews and focus groups have been used to illustrate diverse perspectives and to demonstrate that Somali women have always been principal agents of change and social transformation. The report's recommendations are an acknowledgement of the role Somali women have played throughout the course of Somali history, and continue to play today, in shaping the pathway towards greater participation for women across Somali regions, and the challenges they face in so doing.
- Topic: Gender Issues, Social Movement, Women, Gender Based Violence
- Political Geography: Africa, Somalia