You searched for: Publishing Institution Moshe Dayan Center for Middle Eastern and African Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Moshe Dayan Center for Middle Eastern and African Studies Political Geography Israel Remove constraint Political Geography: Israel Topic Citizenship Remove constraint Topic: Citizenship
- Author: Ahmad Agabaria
- Publication Date: 05-2020
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Moshe Dayan Center for Middle Eastern and African Studies
- Abstract: The elections conveyed a message: The Arab public refuses to be a problem in Israeli society, and strives to return to normalcy. The 1990s were engraved in the memory of the Arab public as a promising period for their rights, but today the tables have been turned. The establishment doubts the ability of Arab Knesset members to represent their constituents and doubts their allegiance to the state. Many in the Arab public understand that the enshrining national-Zionist identity of the state is directed against them. The delegitimization of the Arab minority and its elected representatives reached its peak in the recent elections. The slogan "Bibi or Tibi" is an expression of incitement and racism that should be denounced. The "deal of the century" plan, and in particular its intention to annex the Triangle Region to a Palestinian state, actually contributed to raising the turnout rate on the Arab street. The 15 seats won by the Joint List restored the belief to Arab citizens that change is possible.
- Topic: Politics, Minorities, Elections, Citizenship
- Political Geography: Middle East, Israel, Palestine