You searched for: Publishing Institution Lowy Institute for International Policy Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Lowy Institute for International Policy Political Geography Middle East Remove constraint Political Geography: Middle East Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Counter-terrorism Remove constraint Topic: Counter-terrorism
- Author: Lydia Khalil
- Publication Date: 06-2019
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: Lowy Institute for International Policy
- Abstract: Women will be important to the resurgence and transformation of the Islamic State from governance project to global terrorist insurgency. Islamic State has expanded both the potential and the scope of the roles and functions women can play, providing additional avenues for their participation in jihad in both kinetic and non-kinetic roles. The cohort of former caliphate members of mostly women and children now held in camps pose a key challenge for counterterrorism efforts around the world. Assumptions about women and violence can obstruct an accurate assessment of the threat female IS supporters pose and an accurate understanding of their agency.
- Topic: Gender Issues, Violent Extremism, Counter-terrorism, Women, Radicalization, Islamic State, Jihad
- Political Geography: Iraq, Middle East, Australia, Syria