You searched for: Publishing Institution Kellogg Institute for International Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Kellogg Institute for International Studies Political Geography Indonesia Remove constraint Political Geography: Indonesia Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Health Remove constraint Topic: Health
- Author: Bhashkar Mazumder, Maria Rosales-Rueda, Margaret Triyana
- Publication Date: 12-2020
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Kellogg Institute for International Studies
- Abstract: We analyze the long-run and intergenerational effects of a large-scale school building project (INPRES) that took place in Indonesia between 1974 and 1979. Specifically, we link the geographic rollout of INPRES to longitudinal data from the Indonesian Family Life Survey covering two generations. We find that individuals exposed to the program have better health later in life along multiple measures. We also find that the children of those exposed experience improved health and educational outcomes and that these effects are generally stronger for maternal exposure than paternal exposure. We find some evidence that household resources, neighborhood quality, and assortative mating may explain a portion of our results. Our findings highlight the importance of considering the long-run and multigenerational benefits when evaluating the costs and benefits of social interventions in a middle-income country.
- Topic: Education, Health, Poverty, Inequality, Economic Growth, Economic Development
- Political Geography: Indonesia, Asia