You searched for: Publishing Institution Japan Institute Of International Affairs (JIIA) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Japan Institute Of International Affairs (JIIA) Publication Year within 1 Year Remove constraint Publication Year: within 1 Year Topic International Affairs Remove constraint Topic: International Affairs
- Author: Monika Chansoria
- Publication Date: 01-2020
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Japan Institute Of International Affairs (JIIA)
- Abstract: In the last quarter of the 18th century, Warren Hastings, the first de facto Governor General of India from 1774 to 1785 initiated and set up the English East India Company’s relations with Tibet. The first contact in this reference was initiated by the Tibetans, when, upon hearing the news of the defeat of Bhutan’s King Desi Shidariva by the British forces in the battle for Cooch Behar (1772-1774), the Panchen Lama, Palden Yeshe, wrote a historic letter of mediation addressed to the Governor General. Hastings seized the opportunity, and, in his response proposed a general treaty of amity and peace between Bengal and Tibet.
- Topic: Diplomacy, International Affairs, History, Trade
- Political Geography: Europe, Asia, England, Tibet