You searched for: Publishing Institution Hudson Institute Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Hudson Institute Political Geography India Remove constraint Political Geography: India Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Health Remove constraint Topic: Health
- Author: Husain Haqqani, Aparna Pande
- Publication Date: 05-2020
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Hudson Institute
- Abstract: The world’s most populous region, South Asia, with almost 1.9 billion people living in eight countries, has so far had fewer reported infections and fatalities per capita from the novel coronavirus than projected in early models. However, the region is unlikely to escape the widespread disruption and damage felt across the globe, and its worst health-care crisis may be yet to come. In South Asia, as in other regions, the COVID-19 pandemic is testing the capacities of states to provide security and effective healthcare and to maintain essential services. It is also having an impact on fragile democratic institutions and societal bonds, in addition to putting considerable strains on the economy. [...] Following is a country-by-country report, with inputs from experts on the ground, on the coronavirus pandemic’s impact in South Asia and its human, economic, and political consequences.
- Topic: Economics, Health, Crisis Management, COVID-19
- Political Geography: Pakistan, China, South Asia, India, Asia, Sri Lanka