You searched for: Publishing Institution Georgetown Journal of International Affairs Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Georgetown Journal of International Affairs Political Geography Middle East Remove constraint Political Geography: Middle East Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Poverty Remove constraint Topic: Poverty
- Author: Hasan Aydin
- Publication Date: 12-2020
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Georgetown Journal of International Affairs
- Abstract: Because of a perceived existential threat to the Turkish state, the teaching of any language other than Turkish in the formal education system has historically been forbidden through targeted legislation, despite the fact that Turkey comprises many minority ethnic groups other than Turks. Guaranteeing the rights of minorities like the Kurds for native tongue education would ensure preserving the distinct identities of minorities and contribute to the resolution of the decades-long Turkish-Kurdish conflict. Potential solutions include establishing programs, hiring more qualified instructors, and encouraging pluralism and diversity in education.
- Topic: Civil Society, Education, Poverty, Minorities, Income Inequality, Kurds
- Political Geography: Turkey, Middle East