You searched for: Publishing Institution Georgetown Journal of International Affairs Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Georgetown Journal of International Affairs Political Geography Indonesia Remove constraint Political Geography: Indonesia Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Agriculture Remove constraint Topic: Agriculture
- Author: Jeffrey Neilson
- Publication Date: 11-2020
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Georgetown Journal of International Affairs
- Abstract: In 1870, the Dutch colonial government established the principle of domein verklaring (free state domain) in its East Indies colony when it enacted agrarian laws to promote private investment. The now-independent Indonesian nation is still trying to resolve the principle’s implications for community access to land, which threaten the long-term sustainability of livelihoods across the country. Further legal recognition of pre-existing customary rights over land is required to prevent exacerbating the marginalization of rural community interests.
- Topic: Agriculture, Civil Society, History, Law, Colonialism, Land
- Political Geography: Indonesia, Asia, Southeast Asia