You searched for: Publishing Institution European Policy Centre Remove constraint Publishing Institution: European Policy Centre Political Geography America Remove constraint Political Geography: America Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Post Truth Politics Remove constraint Topic: Post Truth Politics
- Author: Giovanni Grevi
- Publication Date: 06-2017
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: European Policy Centre
- Abstract: After four months in office, the Trump administration has not triggered a revolution in US foreign policy but is shaking up the status quo. The path-breaking decision to withdraw from the Paris agreement on climate change reflects the president's abrasive 'America first' rhetoric. On a range of other issues, long-established patterns and commitments have been challenged so far more in words than in deeds. However, the mix of nationalism and pragmatism, ideology and realism, improvisation and policy reversals that Trump's foreign policy approach displays has begun to significantly affect the profile and perceptions of the US in the world. Under Trump, the US is shifting away from its traditional role as ultimate guarantor of the international liberal order at increasing speed.
- Topic: Political stability, Post Truth Politics
- Political Geography: America