You searched for: Publishing Institution Centre d'Etudes Prospectives et d'Informations Internationales (CEPII) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Centre d'Etudes Prospectives et d'Informations Internationales (CEPII) Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic News Analysis Remove constraint Topic: News Analysis
- Author: Pierre Cotterlaz, Etienne Fize
- Publication Date: 02-2021
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Centre d'Etudes Prospectives et d'Informations Internationales (CEPII)
- Abstract: This paper documents the effect of information frictions on trade using a historical large-scale improvement in the transmission of news: the emergence of global news agencies. The information available to potential traders became more abundant, was delivered faster and at a cheaper price between countries covered by a news agency. Exploiting differences in the timing of telegraph openings and news agency coverage across pairs of countries, we are able to disentangle the pure effect of information from the effect of a reduction in communication costs. Panel gravity estimates reveal that bilateral trade increased by 30\% more for pairs of countries covered by a news agency and connected by a telegraph than for pairs of countries simply connected by a telegraph.
- Topic: Economics, International Political Economy, Partnerships, Media, News Analysis, Trade
- Political Geography: Global Focus