You searched for: Publishing Institution Center for Strategic and International Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Center for Strategic and International Studies Political Geography Syria Remove constraint Political Geography: Syria Topic Post Colonialism Remove constraint Topic: Post Colonialism
- Author: Anthony H. Cordesman, Sam Khazai
- Publication Date: 10-2012
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Abstract: Iraq is in an ongoing struggle to establish a new national identity, and one that can bridge across the deep sectarian divisions between its Shi'ites and Sunnis as well as the ethnic divisions between its Arabs and its Kurds and other minorities. At the same time, Iraq's leaders must try to build a new structure of governance, economics, and social order after a mix of dictatorship, war, sanctions, occupation, and civil conflict that began in the 1970s and have continued ever since.
- Topic: Conflict Resolution, Democratization, Post Colonialism, Regime Change, Counterinsurgency, Sectarian violence
- Political Geography: Iraq, Middle East, Arabia, Syria