You searched for: Publishing Institution Center for Strategic and International Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Center for Strategic and International Studies Political Geography South Sudan Remove constraint Political Geography: South Sudan Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Topic Foreign Direct Investment Remove constraint Topic: Foreign Direct Investment
- Author: Jake Cusack, Matt Tilleard
- Publication Date: 12-2013
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Center for Strategic and International Studies
- Abstract: This paper outlines a new tool for policymakers to deploy to encourage private-sector development in developing nations. Specifically it argues that in fragile states there are systemic failures that cause an intermediation gap between sources of capital and entrepreneurs seeking investment. This gap prevents investment by raising transaction costs and exacerbating information asymmetry. We present a case study of this gap as observed in our work in South Sudan. Then we propose a model of investment facilitation that bridges the intermediation gap. The model is based on donor funding of a neutral nongovernment facilitator to identify attractive investment opportunities, link them to capital, and facilitate transactions.
- Topic: Development, Economics, Foreign Aid, Fragile/Failed State, Foreign Direct Investment
- Political Geography: Africa, South Sudan