You searched for: Publishing Institution Berghahn Books Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Berghahn Books Political Geography Middle East Remove constraint Political Geography: Middle East Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Health Remove constraint Topic: Health
- Author: Susie Kilshaw
- Publication Date: 01-2018
- Content Type: Book
- Institution: Berghahn Books
- Abstract: Gulf began to surface. This mysterious illness was given the name “Gulf War Syndrome” (GWS). This book is an investigation into this recently emergent illness, particularly relevant given ongoing UK deployments to Iraq, describing how the illness became a potent symbol for a plethora of issues, anxieties, and concerns. At present, the debate about GWS is polarized along two lines: there are those who think it is a unique, organic condition caused by Gulf War toxins and those who argue that it is probably a psychological condition that can be seen as part of a larger group of illnesses. Using the methods and perspective of anthropology, with its focus on nuances and subtleties, the author provides a new approach to understanding GWS, one that makes sense of the cultural circumstances, specific and general, which gave rise to the illness.
- Topic: Health, Gulf War, Masculinity , PTSD
- Political Geography: United States, Iraq, United Kingdom, Europe, Middle East