You searched for: Publishing Institution Asia Society Policy Institute Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Asia Society Policy Institute Political Geography Central Asia Remove constraint Political Geography: Central Asia Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Topic Diplomacy Remove constraint Topic: Diplomacy
- Author: Samantha Custer, Tanya Sethi, Jonathan A. Solis, Joyce Lin, Siddharta Ghose, Anubhav Gupta, Rodney Knight, Austin Baehr
- Publication Date: 12-2019
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Asia Society Policy Institute
- Abstract: Many countries engage in public diplomacy—diplomatic instruments used to influence the perceptions, preferences, and actions of citizens and leaders in another country—as a means to win over foreign publics and advance national interests. In a new study and report published by AidData, in collaboration with the Asia Society Policy Institute, and the Center for Strategic and International Studies, the authors look at the past two decades of China’s relationship cultivation—including efforts to balance negative perceptions of its growing military and economic strength—within its greater periphery, specifically the 13 countries of South and Central Asia. This study collected an unprecedented amount of qualitative and quantitative data on Beijing’s public diplomacy in the South and Central Asian region from 2000 through 2018. In the report Silk Road Diplomacy, the authors analyze this data to illuminate which tools Beijing deploys, with whom, and to what effects within this subregion.
- Topic: Diplomacy, Regional Cooperation, Military Affairs, Economy
- Political Geography: China, South Asia, Central Asia, Asia