You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Political Geography North Korea Remove constraint Political Geography: North Korea Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Engagement Remove constraint Topic: Engagement
- Author: Antoine Bondaz
- Publication Date: 02-2020
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Stockholm International Peace Research Institute
- Abstract: The North Korean nuclear and ballistic missile crisis is the most serious proliferation crisis the European Union (EU) and its member states currently face on the world stage. Despite the staging of diplomatic meetings, the threat caused by this crisis to European interests, in terms of proliferation, instability and to prosperity, persists. It is now essential that the EU and its member states move from a strategy of critical engagement to implementing a more proactive strategy of credible commitments in four areas: political engagement, non-proliferation, the implementation of restrictive measures and engagement with the North Korean people. Such a renewed strategy should be highly coordinated, build on the many initiatives already being taken and facilitated by the appointment of an EU Special Representative on North Korea.
- Topic: Arms Control and Proliferation, Nuclear Weapons, European Union, Disarmament, Engagement
- Political Geography: Europe, Asia, North Korea