You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution The Global Centre for the Responsibility to Protect Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Global Centre for the Responsibility to Protect Political Geography Africa Remove constraint Political Geography: Africa Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Ethnic Conflict Remove constraint Topic: Ethnic Conflict
- Author: Gregory Mthembu-Salter, Elana Berger, Naomi Kikoler
- Publication Date: 09-2011
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: The Global Centre for the Responsibility to Protect
- Abstract: Over the course of the past forty years, waves of interethnic conflict in Burundi have killed hundreds of thousands of people and displaced over a million more. In 1993 the assassination of Melchior Ndadaye, the country's first Hutu president, by paratroopers from Burundi's Tutsi dominated armed forces, set off another round of violence with Hutu militias attacking Tutsi civilians and the armed forces retaliating by attacking Hutu communities. The situation ultimately devolved into a civil war that lasted for more than ten years.
- Topic: Ethnic Conflict, Genocide, Human Rights, Peacekeeping
- Political Geography: Africa, Burundi