You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution The Cato Institute Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Cato Institute Political Geography New Zealand Remove constraint Political Geography: New Zealand Topic Government Remove constraint Topic: Government
- Author: John C. Goodman
- Publication Date: 01-2005
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: The Cato Institute
- Abstract: Almost everyone agrees that the U.S. health care system is in dire need of reform. But there are differing opinions on what kind of reform would be best. Some on the political left would like to see us copy one of the government-run “single-payer”systems that exist in Western Europe, Canada, and New Zealand, among other places. Proponents of socialized medicine point to other countries as examples of health care systems that are superior to our own. They insist that government will make health care available on the basis of need rather than ability to pay. The rich and poor will have equal access to care. And more serious medical needs will be given priority over less serious needs.
- Topic: Government, Human Welfare, Politics
- Political Geography: United States, Europe, Canada, New Zealand