You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Social Science Research Council Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Social Science Research Council Political Geography Ethiopia Remove constraint Political Geography: Ethiopia Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Conflict Remove constraint Topic: Conflict
- Author: Amanda Coffie, Richard Alemdjrodo, Patience Adzande, Jocelyn Perry
- Publication Date: 07-2018
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Social Science Research Council
- Abstract: According to United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) esti- mates, nearly sixty-six million people had been forced to leave their homes and migrate as a result of conflict, political violence, ethnic and religious tensions, and natural disasters as of 2016.1 These rather high estimates contributed to the UN’s 2016 launch of the New York Declaration for Migrants and Refugees to enshrine global commitments to the challenges posed by high levels of forced displace- ment, and develop concrete plans for their resolution. This policy briefing note addresses the African Union and African govern- ments, as well as African scholars and policymakers regarding Africa’s particular position within global displacement and migration trends. It provides recommen- dations in the lead-up to the adoption of the Global Compact on Refugees (GCR) at a special summit in Morocco in December 2018.
- Topic: Migration, Refugees, Displacement, Conflict
- Political Geography: Uganda, Africa, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Chad, South Sudan, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo