You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Department of Economics and Business, Colorado College Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Department of Economics and Business, Colorado College Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Topic Famine Remove constraint Topic: Famine
- Author: Daniel K. N. Johnson, Christopher Ryan Hughes
- Publication Date: 06-2009
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Department of Economics and Business, Colorado College
- Abstract: Agriculture, like many primary and service sectors, is a frequent recipient of innovation intended for its use, even if those innovations originate in industrial sectors. The challenge has been identifying them from patent data, which are recorded for administrative purposes using the International Patent Classification (IPC) system. We reprogram a well-tested tool, the OECD Technology Concordance (OTC), to identify 16 million patents granted between 1975 and 2006 worldwide which have potential application in agriculture. This paper presents the methodology of that dataset's construction, introduces the data via summaries by nation and industrial sector over time, and suggests some potential avenues for future exploration of empirical issues using these data.
- Topic: Agriculture, Science and Technology, Food, Famine