You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment Political Geography Global Focus Remove constraint Political Geography: Global Focus Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Law Remove constraint Topic: Law
- Author: Lisa Sachs, Lise Johnson, Brooke Güven, Jesse Coleman
- Publication Date: 03-2018
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment
- Abstract: This paper analyzes the expected benefits of investment treaties, including: increased inward investment, increased outward investment, and depoliticization of investment disputes. It then considers evidence of the costs of investment treaties, including: litigation, liability, reputational cost, reduced policy space, distorted power dynamics, reduced role for domestic law-making, and uncertainty in the law. The authors set forth practical steps that states can take relating to both existing treaties as well as future treaties with an objective of increasing desired benefits and decreasing unexpected and high costs of investment treaties.
- Topic: Treaties and Agreements, Law, Legal Theory , Investment
- Political Geography: Global Focus