You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Centre for Non-Traditional Security Studies (NTS) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Centre for Non-Traditional Security Studies (NTS) Political Geography France Remove constraint Political Geography: France Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic International Cooperation Remove constraint Topic: International Cooperation
- Author: Wada Haruko
- Publication Date: 03-2020
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Centre for Non-Traditional Security Studies (NTS)
- Abstract: The United States, Australia, Japan, India, France, the United Kingdom, Indonesia and ASEAN have adopted the term “Indo-Pacific” as a policy symbol of regional engagement. However, less attention has been given to the change in the geographical definition of the “Indo-Pacific”. This study examines how these countries have adjusted the geographical scope of “Indo-Pacific” to understand how they conceptualise the region. It finds that the inherent core area of the “Indo-Pacific” is from India to the Southeast Asian countries and the seas from the eastern Indian Ocean to the South China Sea, and that the “Indo-Pacific” has converged eastwards and diverged westwards through the geographical adjustment process. It also found that some of the geographical definitions have an additional function of conveying diplomatic messages. These findings will help us understand how the concept of “Indo- Pacific” as conceptualised by various countries develops.
- Topic: Diplomacy, International Cooperation, Regional Cooperation, ASEAN
- Political Geography: United States, Japan, United Kingdom, Asia, France, Australia, Indo-Pacific