You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Center on Human Rights Education, University of Denver Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Center on Human Rights Education, University of Denver Political Geography Colorado Remove constraint Political Geography: Colorado Topic Gender Issues Remove constraint Topic: Gender Issues
- Author: Lauren Palarino
- Publication Date: 10-2017
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Center on Human Rights Education, University of Denver
- Abstract: In the Denver Metro Area out of 3336 people who are homeless surveyed, 30.2% are women and nationally, single women are the fastest growing population of homeless in the United States and face unique challenges regarding healthcare, safety, and childcare. These needs are often unaddressed by shelters and instead can alienate women who are unable to find the help they need. The reasons women are homeless are as diverse, but one in four women report domestic violence as the main factor in their current homeless situation resulting in health disparities and trauma left unaddressed. Lack of education prevents women from finding employment and gaining income and rising costs of living. Understanding women’s specific problems associated with being homeless can help us empathize with them and to try and help.
- Topic: Gender Issues, Poverty, Gender Based Violence , Homelessness
- Political Geography: United States, North America, Colorado