You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Center for Global Development Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Center for Global Development Political Geography Andhra Pradesh Remove constraint Political Geography: Andhra Pradesh Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Health Care Policy Remove constraint Topic: Health Care Policy
- Author: Victoria Fan, Anup Karan, Ajay Mahal
- Publication Date: 06-2012
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Center for Global Development
- Abstract: In 2007, the state of Andhra Pradesh in southern India began rolling out the Aarogyasri health insurance to reduce catastrophic health expenditures in households “below the poverty line.” We exploit variation in program roll-out over time and districts to evaluate the impacts of the scheme using difference-in-differences. Our results suggest that, within the first year of implementation, Phase I of Aarogyasri significantly reduced out-of-pocket inpatient expenditures and, to a lesser extent, outpatient expenditures. These results are robust to checks using quantile regression and matching methods. No clear effects on catastrophic health expenditures or medical impoverishment are seen. Aarogyasri is not benefiting scheduled caste and scheduled tribe households as much as the rest of the population.
- Topic: Health, Poverty, Health Care Policy
- Political Geography: India, Asia, Andhra Pradesh