You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Political Geography South Asia Remove constraint Political Geography: South Asia Topic Governance Remove constraint Topic: Governance
- Author: Milan Vaishnav
- Publication Date: 06-2015
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Abstract: The Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP’s) historic victory in India’s 2014 general election prompted declarations of a watershed in the behavior of the Indian voter. Upon closer inspection, the reality is more nuanced. On some parameters, such as voting based on economic and ethnic considerations, there were indeed discernible changes. However, the empirical evidence suggests these shifts were well under way before 2014. In other areas—namely, support for regional parties, dynastic politicians, and candidates associated with criminal activity—contemporary voters demonstrated much greater continuity with the past.
- Topic: Democratization, Demographics, Ethnic Conflict, Political Economy, Governance
- Political Geography: South Asia, India