You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Asia Society Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Asia Society Political Geography Afghanistan Remove constraint Political Geography: Afghanistan Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Economics Remove constraint Topic: Economics
- Author: Hassan Abbas
- Publication Date: 05-2011
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Asia Society
- Abstract: In recent years, Pakistan has stumbled from one crisis to another. A number of political and socioeconomic challenges threaten to further destabilize a country that already is reeling from insurgencies along its northwestern border. Pakistan's newest democratic government is struggling to maintain control over parts of its territory where militant religious groups are intent on challenging its authority and legitimacy. The country's conflict with India over Kashmir, now in its seventh decade, appears as intractable as ever, and the war in neighboring Afghanistan has deepened instability throughout Pakistan. The transition from a near-decade-long rule under a military dictatorship is slow and complicated, as rampant corruption and politicization of the bureaucracy present huge obstacles to the state-building process.
- Topic: Conflict Resolution, Foreign Policy, Democratization, Development, Economics, Education, Health Care Policy
- Political Geography: Pakistan, Afghanistan, South Asia