You searched for: Content Type Video Remove constraint Content Type: Video Political Geography Lebanon Remove constraint Political Geography: Lebanon Topic Poverty Remove constraint Topic: Poverty
- Author: Paul Salem, Ishac Diwan, Fadlo Khuri, Maha Yahya
- Publication Date: 07-2020
- Content Type: Video
- Institution: Middle East Institute (MEI)
- Abstract: Lebanon is going through one of the most acute crises in its modern history. A complex economic collapse is driving hundreds of thousands into poverty and the risk of hunger, and shuttering an already wounded economy. A large cross section of the population revolted in October of last year and has created a standoff with a corrupt and sectarian oligarchy. The government is unable to chart and implement a way out of the crisis, and state institutions stand on the brink of failure. The multiple crises have threatened all sectors, including the critical education sector, previously one of the success stories of the country; universities, like other institutions, have been hard hit.
- Topic: Poverty, Sectarianism, Hunger, Economy, Protests, Crisis Management, Higher Education
- Political Geography: Middle East, Lebanon