You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Political Geography Ireland Remove constraint Political Geography: Ireland Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Culture Remove constraint Topic: Culture
- Author: Theresa Reidy
- Publication Date: 01-2020
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Georgetown Journal of International Affairs
- Abstract: In 2015, Ireland became the first country in the world to introduce same-sex marriage through a national referendum vote. The decision to introduce equal marriage received a great deal of attention, and not just because it was the first positive referendum decision on this issue; the vote was also preceded by a citizens’ assembly which recommended the referendum and endorsed a “yes” vote. The resounding victory for the liberal position provided definitive evidence of Ireland’s shift from a conservative, inward-looking European periphery state to a modern, liberal, and inclusive republic.
- Topic: Religion, Culture, Domestic politics, LGBT+
- Political Geography: Europe, Ireland, European Union