You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Publishing Institution The Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations (SHAFR) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations (SHAFR) Political Geography United States Remove constraint Political Geography: United States Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years
- Author: Melvyn P. Leffler, William Hitchcock
- Publication Date: 09-2018
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: The Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations (SHAFR)
- Abstract: Like many historians, I was stunned a couple of years ago when Donald Trump started campaigning on the platform of America First. For me, America First was associated with the insularity, isolationism, unilateralism, nativism, anti-Semitism, and appeasement policies that President Franklin D. Roosevelt struggled to overcome in 1940 and 1941. Why, I asked myself, would anyone want to associate himself with that discredited movement, a movement that seemed eviscerated after the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941? Did Trump understand or know about that movement?
- Topic: International Relations, Foreign Policy, History, Diplomatic History
- Political Geography: United States