You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Publishing Institution The Polish Institute of International Affairs Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Polish Institute of International Affairs Political Geography Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Europe Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Rule of Law Remove constraint Topic: Rule of Law
- Author: Marta Makowska, Melchior Szczepanik
- Publication Date: 09-2018
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: The Polish Institute of International Affairs
- Abstract: In the draft multiannual financial framework (MFF) 2021-2027, the European Commission (EC) proposed a political conditionality mechanism through which EU funds could be suspended for countries violating the rule of law. If implemented, it would grant the EC new powers to control the condition of the rule of law in Member States, but it is based on imprecise criteria. Even though the EC has declared that the mechanism is designed to discipline state institutions responsible for breaches, it could be damaging mainly to the final beneficiaries of the funds.
- Topic: Sanctions, Budget, European Union, Rule of Law
- Political Geography: Europe