You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Publishing Institution Europeum Institute for European Policy Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Europeum Institute for European Policy Political Geography Balkans Remove constraint Political Geography: Balkans Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Domestic politics Remove constraint Topic: Domestic politics
- Author: Žiga Faktor, Jana Juzová
- Publication Date: 12-2020
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Europeum Institute for European Policy
- Abstract: Our researchers, Žiga Faktor and Jana Juzová, analyse elections in Serbia, Croatia, Northern Macedonia and Montenegro in four policy papers and offer recommendations aimed at strengthening the EU's enlargement policy. In this report, EUROPEUM’s two researchers – Jana Juzová and Žiga Faktor – analyze each of the four elections from these perspectives in four policy papers, offering succinct dissections of the elections themselves, as well as what they portend for the future of the region and the EU’s enlargement policy. Based on their analyses, they offer policy recommendations designed to strengthen the EU enlargement policy in a tailor-made approach rather than the hitherto “one size fits all”-approach that has proven dysfunctional not only from the perspective of future enlargement, but also retrospectively during the last enlargement wave in 2004. The enlargement policy may be seen as marginalized today, yet the enlargement policy is not solely a policy of enlargement; it is a window into the state of the EU, as well as the soul of Europe itself. It is therefore my pleasure to invite interested readers to read more about the 2020 developments in the Western Balkans, offering both valuable insights about the region itself, and an opportunity to thoughtfully consider what role the EU and Europe should play in a changing world marred by instability and upheaval.
- Topic: Elections, European Union, Domestic politics, Parliamentarism
- Political Geography: Europe, Serbia, Balkans, Croatia, Montenegro