You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Publishing Institution European Policy Centre Remove constraint Publishing Institution: European Policy Centre Political Geography Global Focus Remove constraint Political Geography: Global Focus
- Author: Iva Tasheva
- Publication Date: 06-2017
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: European Policy Centre
- Abstract: Increased digitalisation has brought both economic benefits and cybersecurity challenges. According to Europol, an expanding cybercriminal economy is exploiting our increasingly Internet-enabled lives and low levels of digital skills. This became publicly evident in May 2017 with the biggest ransomware attack so far; the WannaCry cryptoworm exploited a security gap in widely used, and often not updated versions of the Windows operational system. The cyber weapon, which enabled hackers to lock (encrypt) the victims' computer files until they paid a ransom, was stolen from the US National Security Agency. It spread within a few hours, affecting 200,000 computers, compromising the security and preventing the work of critical infrastructures, such as hospitals (NHS), public transport (Deutsche Bahn), banks (Deutsche Bank), service providers (Telefónica), delivery services (FedEx), and businesses across the globe.
- Topic: International Security
- Political Geography: Global Focus