You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Publishing Institution European Policy Centre Remove constraint Publishing Institution: European Policy Centre Political Geography Africa Remove constraint Political Geography: Africa Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years
- Author: Olivia Sundberg Diez, Matthias Lücke, Leonie Jegen, Franzisca Zanker
- Publication Date: 04-2020
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: European Policy Centre
- Abstract: If the EU and its member states are to manage migration successfully, they need to start treating countries of origin and transit, especially in Africa, as equal partners. The Union must make a conscious effort to negotiate comprehensive agreements on mobility that reflect both sides’ interests, concerns, and political realities. The European Commission is currently finalising its proposed New Pact on Migration and Asylum to re-start the debate on how to reform the Common European Asylum System and manage migration from outside the EU. One prominent aspect is the ‘external dimension’: jointly managing migration with countries of origin and transit. In this 2020 MEDAM Assessment Report, the authors explore how European and African governments can reach common ground on policies related to migration and mobility.
- Topic: Migration, Treaties and Agreements, European Union, Refugees, Asylum
- Political Geography: Africa, Europe