You searched for: Content Type Research Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Research Paper Political Geography Russia Remove constraint Political Geography: Russia Topic War Remove constraint Topic: War
- Author: Anatol Lieven
- Publication Date: 06-2021
- Content Type: Research Paper
- Institution: Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft
- Abstract: The unresolved conflict between Russia and Ukraine in the Donbas region represents by far the greatest danger of a new war in Europe — and by far the greatest risk of a new crisis in relations between the United States and Russia. The Biden administration does not wish to escalate tensions with Russia, and no doubt appreciates that admitting Ukraine into NATO is impossible for the foreseeable future, if only because Germany and France would veto it. Nonetheless, so long as the dispute remains unresolved, the United States will be hostage to developments on the ground that could drag it into a new and perilous crisis.
- Topic: Conflict Resolution, Diplomacy, War, Conflict, Negotiation
- Political Geography: Russia, United States, Ukraine, Eastern Europe