You searched for: Content Type Research Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Research Paper Political Geography Israel Remove constraint Political Geography: Israel Topic Economic Development Remove constraint Topic: Economic Development
- Author: Taher labadi
- Publication Date: 12-2018
- Content Type: Research Paper
- Institution: Arab Reform Initiative (ARI)
- Abstract: Displacement, dispersal, denial of nationhood, and global power shifts define the existence of the Palestinian diaspora, hindering their ability to connect to each other and to their homeland. This paper outlines diaspora-homeland relationships that, it argues, are shaped by both settler-colonial policies and globalization. “Diasporization” also impacts power dynamics among Palestinians, reflected in the shifting centre of gravity of Palestinian politics toward the Occupied Palestinian Territories and the growing marginalization of the Palestinian diaspora – especially those residing in neighbouring Arab countries. This paper also addresses the emergence of Palestinian diaspora elites who have been involved in inward-bound dynamics within the state-building process. Of particular note are increasing attempts to mobilize Palestinian “expatriates,” intending to strengthen their involvement in both economic development and state-building processes.
- Topic: Globalization, Diaspora, Colonialism, State Building, Economic Development
- Political Geography: Africa, Middle East, Israel, Palestine