You searched for: Content Type Research Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Research Paper Political Geography India Remove constraint Political Geography: India Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Colonialism Remove constraint Topic: Colonialism
- Author: Hafsa Kanjwal
- Publication Date: 09-2019
- Content Type: Research Paper
- Institution: Brown Journal of World Affairs
- Abstract: On 5 August 2019, the Indian government unilaterally changed the legal status of the state of Jammu and Kashmir, undermining its own constitutional process and completely annexing a territory that remains disputed in the international arena. In a statement to the Indian parliament, the Indian Home Minister announced the abrogation of Kashmir’s special status enshrined in Article 370 of the Indian constitution, as well as the bifurcation of the state into two Union Territories to be directly governed by the central government. Since then, the government has placed Indian-occupied Kashmir on lockdown. Despite restrictions on the movement of reporters and human rights observers and a clampdown on communication infrastructure (including the internet and some phone services), there have been reports of widespread human rights abuses including extrajudicial detentions (including of minors), torture, sexual violence, and lack of access to basic medical and healthcare services.
- Topic: Post Colonialism, Territorial Disputes, Self Determination, Colonialism, Empire
- Political Geography: India, East Asia, Kashmir