You searched for: Content Type Research Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Research Paper Political Geography India Remove constraint Political Geography: India Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Topic Gender Issues Remove constraint Topic: Gender Issues
- Author: Gagandeep Kang
- Publication Date: 08-2019
- Content Type: Research Paper
- Institution: India International Centre (IIC)
- Abstract: Where are we today with regard to the role of women in science, technology, engineering, medicine (among other fields), women in leadership roles, and what are the challenges that lie ahead of us? In that context, it is very interesting to address both biology and sociology, and the reason we need to address the former is that explanations for why societies manifest in certain ways, or not, often hinge on our recourse to biology in various ways. As far as biology goes, humans are the consequence of hundreds of million years of evolution, from unicellular organisms to multiple kinds of multicellular organisms. There are a great number of animals with behaviour and nervous systems, and functions and physiology, which have many similarities with humans. Many animals run, many walk, many taste and smell in ways we do, and so on. Some animals fly, we do not. That brings us to sociology, and how our societies grew. Humans are distinct from other animals, in that, over evolutionary time, we chanced upon ways by which we could throw objects, and therefore make tools and engineer nature. We could speak and therefore communicate with each other and develop language.
- Topic: Gender Issues, Science and Technology, Women, Medicine , Evolution
- Political Geography: India