You searched for: Content Type Research Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Research Paper Publishing Institution Varieties of Democracy Institute (V-Dem) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Varieties of Democracy Institute (V-Dem) Political Geography India Remove constraint Political Geography: India Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Democracy Remove constraint Topic: Democracy
- Publication Date: 05-2019
- Content Type: Research Paper
- Institution: Varieties of Democracy Institute (V-Dem)
- Abstract: This year’s Democracy Report shows that the trend of a third wave autocratization – the decline of democratic regime traits – continues and now affects 24 countries. When we weight levels of democracy by population size – because democracy is rule by the people and it matters how many of them are concerned – it emerges that almost one third of the world’s population live in countries undergoing autocratization. Yet democracy still prevails in a majority of countries in the world (99 countries, 55 percent). This section analyses the state of democracy in the world in 2018 and developments since 1972, with an emphasis on the last 10 years. Our analysis builds on the 2019 release of the V-Dem dataset.
- Topic: Authoritarianism, Developing World, Democracy, Populism
- Political Geography: United States, Turkey, Ukraine, India, Brazil