You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Political Geography Australia Remove constraint Political Geography: Australia Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Rule of Law Remove constraint Topic: Rule of Law
- Author: Kharis Templeman
- Publication Date: 01-2020
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Atlantic Council
- Abstract: Over the past three decades, democracy has put down roots in many seemingly unlikely places across Asia, from Mongolia to Indonesia. At a time when democracy is in global retreat, the majority of these Asian regimes have demonstrated surprising resiliency, though many continue to suffer from glaring flaws: weak state capacity and accountability institutions, the absence of impartial rule of law, and uneven protection of political rights and civil liberties. This issue brief, “Democracy under Siege: Advancing Cooperation and Common Values in the Indo-Pacific,” by Dr. Kharis Templeman, examines challenges and opportunities for advancing cooperation and common values in the Indo-Pacific as the region faces an increasing challenge from China.
- Topic: Civil Society, Corruption, Diplomacy, International Organization, Politics, Reform, Elections, Democracy, Rule of Law, Norms, Transition
- Political Geography: Japan, China, Taiwan, East Asia, Asia, Australia, Korea, Indo-Pacific