You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution The Global Centre for the Responsibility to Protect Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Global Centre for the Responsibility to Protect Political Geography Burma Remove constraint Political Geography: Burma Topic Ethnic Conflict Remove constraint Topic: Ethnic Conflict
- Publication Date: 03-2010
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: The Global Centre for the Responsibility to Protect
- Abstract: The Burmese junta, its armed forces known as the “Tatmadaw,” and other armed groups under government control are committing gross human rights violations against ethnic and religious minorities. Extrajudicial killings, torture, and forced labor are prevalent; rape and sexual abuse by the Tatmadaw are rampant; and from August 2008 through July 2009 alone, 75,000 civilians in the east, where armed conflict is ongoing, were forcibly displaced. The Tatmadaw shows a complete disregard for the principle of distinction, intentionally targeting civilians with impunity.
- Topic: Ethnic Conflict, Human Rights
- Political Geography: South Asia, Asia, Burma, Myanmar