You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Norwegian Centre for Conflict Resolution Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Norwegian Centre for Conflict Resolution Political Geography Pakistan Remove constraint Political Geography: Pakistan Topic Agriculture Remove constraint Topic: Agriculture
- Author: Michael Kugelman
- Publication Date: 11-2010
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Norwegian Centre for Conflict Resolution
- Abstract: Pakistan faces a multidimensional water crisis that claims hundreds of thousands of lives every year. The root causes of the crisis are twofold: circumstantial, which are linked to poor water-resource management policies (including water-wasting flood irrigation) structural, tied to factors deeply ingrained in politics and society such as the obsession with India, inequitable rural land-ownership and endemic water misgovernance (for example, exploitation of the rotational irrigation system to the detriment of the poor). To resolve the crisis, both types of cause will need to be tackled, and the international community can play an invaluable role.
- Topic: Agriculture, Natural Resources, Water
- Political Geography: Pakistan, India