You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Council on Foreign Relations Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Council on Foreign Relations Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Natural Disasters Remove constraint Topic: Natural Disasters
- Author: Jayshree Bajoria
- Publication Date: 03-2011
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Council on Foreign Relations
- Abstract: The devastation wreaked by Japan's worst-ever earthquake and the accompanying tsunami continues to widen. Officials put the death toll at thirty-five hundred (UPI), while some reports say more than ten thousand have died (AP) in Miyagi prefecture alone. Tens of thousands of people remain unaccounted for, and the number of casualties is expected to rise, as large numbers are believed buried under rubble. Millions of survivors struggle without electricity, food, and drinking water. Fears of a nuclear meltdown from reactors damaged by the quake prompted Japan's Prime Minister Naoto Kan to declare the disaster the country's "most severe crisis" (BBC) since World War II.
- Topic: Natural Disasters, Nuclear Power
- Political Geography: Japan, East Asia, Asia