You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Centre for International Governance Innovation Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Centre for International Governance Innovation Political Geography Ethiopia Remove constraint Political Geography: Ethiopia Topic Foreign Aid Remove constraint Topic: Foreign Aid
- Author: Hayley Mackinnon
- Publication Date: 07-2014
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Centre for International Governance Innovation
- Abstract: Between 1991 and 2009, more than 2.5 million Somali citizens fled their homeland to Ethiopia, Djibouti and, most notably, Kenya, following the collapse of the Somalian government of Siad Barre. This led to violent clashes between various factional clan groups, and fighting to control land and resources ensued. This resulted in the displacement, starvation and slaughter of thousands of civilians, leading to a crisis that prompted international intervention during the 1990s.
- Topic: Development, Foreign Aid
- Political Geography: Africa, United Nations, Ethiopia