You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Centre for European Policy Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Centre for European Policy Studies Political Geography Ireland Remove constraint Political Geography: Ireland Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Regional Cooperation Remove constraint Topic: Regional Cooperation
- Author: Paul De Grauwe
- Publication Date: 05-2012
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Centre for European Policy Studies
- Abstract: One of the major problems of the eurozone is the divergence of the competitive positions that have built up since the early 2000s. This divergence has led to major imbalances in the eurozone where the countries that have seen their competitive positions deteriorate (mainly the so - called ' PIIGS ' – Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain ) have accumulated large current account deficits and thus external indebtedness, matched by current account surpluses of the countries that have improved their competitive positions (mainly Germany).
- Topic: Economics, Markets, Regional Cooperation, Global Recession, Financial Crisis
- Political Geography: Europe, Greece, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Ireland