You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Atlantic Council Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Atlantic Council Political Geography Eastern Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Eastern Europe Topic Corruption Remove constraint Topic: Corruption
- Author: Adrian Karatnycky, Jan Neutze
- Publication Date: 10-2007
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Atlantic Council
- Abstract: Ukraine is facing a considerable challenge from corruption, which our research showed is present in nearly all levels of government and politics, the judiciary, and business. It is the view of the Task Force that corruption has become so severe that it has the potential to threaten Ukraine's political and economic stability as well as the country's European Union membership aspirations. While Ukraine has made progress since the Orange Revolution in areas such as developing an independent media and a more active civil society, its political leaders have failed to fulfi ll the core promise of the Revolution by effectively addressing corruption. Instead, our research revealed that public suspicions about corruption at the highest reaches of political power are widespread in Ukraine.
- Topic: Corruption, Democratization, Government, Political Economy
- Political Geography: Ukraine, Eastern Europe